Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Griswalds head to Jerryworld!

 If you didn't already know, my family takes a yearly trip together to go to a Bears game.  This year was special though, because the Bears had an away game at Jerryworld!  Instead of the trek out to Chicago, we spent a weekend in Dallas.  Neither Mike nor myself had been to the new Cowboy's stadium and had heard rave reviews about how beautiful it is.  Even though it was less than a week since we returned from Italy, we didn't think twice about packing up for another weekend out of the city, especially when it's all in the name of the Chicago Bears.
Not only was this Bears game different because it was in Dallas, but it was also a must-see game because it was Monday Night Football!  And I know this is a little weird, but it was also the first time that everyone sat together!  In the past, we have all been split up or tried to get tickets just a few rows apart, because it's not the easiest thing to get 5 or 6 tickets together!  But this time, it was all of us, all together, all in a row.
I mentioned it earlier this season when we went to the USC v. Syracuse football game, but my pops could own a business preparing for tailgates.  No detail was spared.  We had the sandwiches (he made sure to have enough for post-game munchies), we had the beverages, we had ample seating, we had Chicago Bears bar-ware, and we had the decorations.  They even brought our Chicago Bears garden gnome (he suffered a horrific tragedy that we don't like to talkabot....but the gnome sacrificed his head for a Bear's W, so at least his death was for the greater good of the team).   If you can't tell by the pictures, we were among the first people to the stadium to make sure that there was enough time to tailgate before heading into the house that Jerry built.


Now I'm not a Cowboy's fan, and I've been to some pretty impressive sports stadiums & ballparks (including the opening day at Metlife Stadium for a Bon Jovi concert, which was epic), but Cowboy's stadium is quite a sight.  It's the most impressive sporting venue I have visited in my 28 years of life.  I'm not even sure if I could ever identify a close second!  Everything I had heard about the stadium and the worlds largest high definition screen had exceeded my expectations.  There literally isn't a bad seat in the entire house.  Regardless of whether or not you are a Cowboys fan, it's a place that can make any sports fan awestruck.  In a state where football is like a religion, this stadium was like a shrine and reminiscent to what some people would say resembles what heaven must look like to a Cowboys fan.

DA Kids!
I wont go into the gory details about how Tony Romo through a record tying 5 interceptions, or how the Bears Defense scored 40 points in fantasy, or how the Monsters of the Midway annihilated the Cowboys in their own home, but I will say that it was a delight to see the Bears bring home a W at an away stadium.  I didn't watch the game on TV, but from what I could see, Bears fans had a great showing at this away game.  We sat next to a season ticket holder who confessed that this was the "largest crowd from an opposing team" that he had ever seen in all his time as a season ticket holder.  And it is heartwarming to hear a few "Da bears!" chants and high five some strangers with my foam bear claw (of course I packed it in my carry on!)!  And despite the embarrassing loss, the Cowboys fans were the nicest and most gracious hosts that you could ever ask for, and I've seen some very sore losers in my day, and in my travels to opposing stadiums...eh hem...UCLA...


There are very few things I love more than spending time with family, enjoying some great food, and of course Chicago Bears football, it's pretty much all I'd need in life to be happy.  I'm so glad that my family has established this yearly tradition, and I only wish we could go to ALL the Bears games instead of just one per year.  As meat-headed as this sounds, it's heart-warming that football brings us all together every year to celebrate a special weekend as a family.  No matter where our lives take us, or where we end up living each year, I know I can count on that one weekend in October (sometimes September) to give us another reason to all convene, rain or shine, win or lose (although it's mostly win!) :)  BEAR DOWN CHICAGO BEARS!


No comments:

Post a Comment